Friday, May 14, 2010

Anne's big goals

So, after getting behind in my studies (two years behind?), I want to see if I can make up some of that time this summer by being an incredibly diligent dissertator. Like Jeff, I have to write my prospectus first. I'm still figuring that out, but it seems like it needs to be a good, solid document that allows me to have fairly sure footing about how I proceed to writing the first of the many (four? five?) chapters that will certainly make up my dissertation.

I am the biggest procrastinator ever, and I have major writing anxiety, so I hope that this blog will give me motivation to write every day and help me work out my anxieties about putting the pen to paper (or, the fingers to the keyboard, as we do).

This was my first week of a really open schedule in which I could have written every day and didn't. Instead, I did everything else possible. I took care of a stray cat, washed dishes, chased the ants around my kitchen, did several loads of laundry, ate cookies, fretted about my new job's low wages, napped, worried about my student's mid-term exam. And other stuff that's too banal to list here. It was also the first week in which my partner was out of the house everyday. He started work in Dayton for the summer, which means I am without a car but have gained an empty house, which should be perfect for writing and reading, right? Well, it wasn't perfect by any means. I got a headache; I got overwhelmed. I don't know where to start. I may have to begin going to the library to work. Home is full of domestic temptations. And a nice bed that is way too perfect for naps. On the other hand, I have all my snacks and hot tea and books here. And I don't have to lug it all on my back when I want to work. I can just clear off my desk (aka dining room table) and get to work. Or something.

Well, like Jeff, I would like to accomplish between 70 and 80 pages this summer, which means not only about 5 pages a week, but also means a lot of writing and note-taking and thinking. Please let my brain work this summer! Please let me have brilliant ideas! Or even mediocre ones that can be formed into sentences.

Fortunately, it's only 1 p.m., so I still have time to be productive. I have an appointment at 4 p.m., so I will read and take notes for my prospectus until then. A report to follow later today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. There is no way that eating cookies should ever be considered a bad thing. I take my cues from kinda amorphous blue things with bulgy eyes: cookies, good.

    Otherwise, yeah: let's get writing.

    ReplyDelete